All about glassware

The following article was sourced from a Wikipedia page at the following address:


Typical glassware

This list of glassware includes drinking vessels (drinkware) and tableware used to set a table for eating a meal, general glass items such as vases, and glasses used in the catering industry, whether made of glass or plastics (such as polystyrene and polycarbonate). It does not include laboratory glassware.


Drinkware, beverageware (colloquially referred to as cups) is a general term for a vessel intended to contain beverages or liquid foods for drinking or consumption.

  • Beaker
  • Beer stein
  • Chalice, goblet
  • Coffee cup
  • Cup
  • Mug
  • Paper cup
  • Pythagorean cup
  • Quaich
  • Sake cup (ochoko)
  • Stemware
  • Tankard
  • Teacup
  • Tumblers
  • Wine glass

The word cup comes from Middle English cuppe, from Old English, from Late Latin cuppa, drinking vessel, perhaps variant of Latin cupa, tub, cask. The first known use of the word cup is before the 12th century.


Tumblers are flat-bottomed drinking glasses.

  • Collins glass, for a tall mixed drink
  • Dizzy Cocktail glass, a glass with a wide, shallow bowl, comparable to a normal Cocktail glass but without the stem
  • Highball glass, for mixed drinks
  • Iced tea glass
  • Juice glass, for fruit juices and vegetable juices.
  • Old Fashioned glass, traditionally, for a simple cocktail or liquor "on the rocks". Contemporary American "rocks" glasses may be much larger, and used for a variety of beverages over ice
  • Shot glass, a small glass for up to four ounces of liquor. The modern shot glass has a thicker base and sides than the older whiskey glass
  • Table-glass or stakan granyonyi
  • Water glass
  • Whiskey tumbler, a small, thin-walled glass for a straight shot of liquor

A classic 20-facets Soviet table-glass, produced in the city of Gus-Khrustalny since 1943.

Beer glassware

  • Pilsner glass, for pale lager
  • Pint glass, for an Imperial pint of beer or cider
  • Pony glass, for a 140ml of beer, a "short" or "small" beer
  • Beer stein – large mug traditionally with a hinged lid
  • Wheat beer glass, for wheat beer (Weizenbier)

New Zealand beer glasses

  • Handle – 425mL New Zealand beer glass
  • Jug – 750–1000mL served at pubs in New Zealand

Australian beer glasses

  • Middy – 285mL (10 fl. oz.) Australian beer glass (New South Wales)
  • Glass – 200mL (7 fl. oz.) Australian beer glass (Queensland & Victoria)
  • Pot – 285mL (10 fl. oz.) Australian beer glass (Queensland & Victoria).
  • Schooner – 425mL (15 fl. oz.) Australian beer glass, 285 mL (10 fl. oz.) in South Australia


A stem glass

  • Absinthe glass
  • Bordeaux, or claret
  • Burgundy
  • Chalice, an ornate stem glass, especially one for ceremonial purposes
  • Champagne coupe, a stem glass with a wide, shallow bowl, for champagne (similar to a cocktail glass)
  • Champagne flute, a stem glass with a tall, narrow bowl, for champagne
  • Cocktail glass, a stem glass with a wide, shallow bowl, for cocktails
  • Cordial
  • Glencairn whisky glass, a wide bowl with a narrow mouth, similar to a snifter's, but with a shorter, sturdier base, designed for whisky
  • Fountain glass, a tall fluted stem glass common in soda fountains, family restaurants and 24-hour diner-style restaurants for milkshakes and ice cream sodas
  • Sherbet, a stem glass for ice cream or sherbet
  • Sherry glass
  • Snifter, a liquor glass with a short stem and a wide bowl that narrows at the top, for brandy and liquor
  • Wine glass, a stem glass
  • For water, a large stem glass for water


A variety of drinking glasses

  • Art glass, glassware that is modern art
  • Beverage coaster, a flat ceramic or wood piece that protects tables
  • Glass container, container made from glass
  • Fluid oz
  • Laboratory glassware, a variety of equipment, traditionally made of glass, used for scientific experiments
  • Pitcher, a container, usually with a spout for pouring its contents
  • Promotional mug, a branded cup often used for drinking hot beverages
  • Punch bowl, a bowl that punch is put in, generally used in parties
  • Vase, an open container often used to hold flowers
  • Yard glass, a very tall, conical beer glass, with a round ball base, usually hung on a wall when empty

For more information re glassware, please click on the following link: